Saturday 28 May 2011

Who took the C out of Canal Street?

The Canal at Canal Street

My stay in Manchester involved a wander each morning along the aptly named Canal Street to attend my course. No doubt this particular street is named after the waterway that runs parallel, although  bearing in mind it's location at the heart of the gay village in the city, I was left musing as to how often Manchester City Council have to replace the signage as some wag attempts to obliterate the letter C.

Work yesterday was a bit of a shock to the system, however it was a Friday and a bank holiday weekend as well.  I suppose that means at some point I'm going to have to mow the lawn this weekend, as both Bob and I have studiously ignored the encroaching jungle as we walk up and down the front path.

You can't accuse us of getting our priorities wrong as we both went swimming this morning, and with half an eye on the approaching British Championships I though we should start to try and move to some fast work. I also have neglected swimming breaststroke (basically because it hurts too much to swim breaststroke fast) so I introduced some broken 100's at the end of the session.

You can see from the print out below the effect of breaststroke it always puts my heart rate through the roof. Mind you it was Matt the Cash I felt sorry for as he opted to swim this set fly!

600 warm up
8 x 75 @ 1.40 25, back, 25 brst, 25 free.
4 x 50's @ 65 prog back
4 x 50's @ 65 prog brst
4 x 50's @ 60 prog free
4 x 50's @ 70 prog fly
4 x 200 Pull @ 3.30
4 x 100 no 1 broken @ 5.00
no 1 straight*
no 2 10 s @ 50**
no 3 10 s @ 50 & 75***
no 4 10 s @ 25, 50 & 75****
100 free active rest @ 2 mins inbetween
3600m

*   1.45
** 1.42
*** 1.39
**** 1.37
(once upon a time I would have been disgusted with these times but I'm beginning to adjust to the reality of being a pretty slow swimmer)

No comments:

Post a Comment