Sunday 21 July 2013

Mini Binge courtesy of Delta Airlines?

In true Binge style there's been a bit of a swimming drought over the last couple of months where I haven't quite managed to make a structured swim session.

Apart from the occasional open water foray at TynemouthConiston Buttermere and Orlando (and of course those rather unassuming performances in Plymouth), even on holiday recently apart from Lucky's Lake Swim, I assiduously avoided the apartment complex's swimming pools.

The instances of getting seriously wet were limited to being caught in a couple of serious thunderstorms, a couple of raft rides, Splash Mountain and a few days at Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. Not a serious swim in sight.

Now to avoid any problems from the advertising standard's authority and to make sure that this blog lives up to its title and does what it says on the tin! I thought I'd start making up for lost time as my swimlog tells me that we are 55% of the way through the year and I've completed a mere 31.2% of my annual challenge leaving me 406,000 metres to swim in the remaining 5 and a half months of 2013, or approximately 16 k per week.

So this morning I traipsed down to Tynemouth to join the Tossers (a rather depleted 3 of us swam 2k across the Bay, ) the water was a much more comfortable temperature compared with this but still pretty cool. I'm obviously getting a bit braver as I managed to swim over some frondy wavy stuff without suffering an attack of the heebie geebies.

Thanks to Jonny and Helen for the company.

As if that wasn't enough I thought I'd make my first pool session since early May, and turned up at the Sunday session in Consett.

I discovered that I am eternally grateful to none other than Delta Airlines for allowing me to complete the swim. It's a long story but involves the head strap in my goggles perishing and crumbling as I stood on the pool side, darn, not to worry Proudy had a spare goggle strap in his bag, and he was only there because his daughter's flight from the states was delayed by 10 hours and he wasn't in Mnachester picking her up.

Of course after this morning's exertions and the last 3 months lack of exertion I'm not sure I'm particularly grateful to them for allowing me to complete this afternoons session as god it hurt! and still does.

So a cool 4.6 k for the day, clawing the lapse back?

AM Tynemouth Longsands  2K

PM Consett
3 x 100 @ 2 min
2 x 66 @ 45s 1st and last 5 metres hard
2 x 100 @ 1:50
2 x 66 @ 45s 1st and last 10 metres hard
1 x 100 @ 1:40
2 x 66 @ 45s all sprint
1 x 266 @ 5:20
2 x 133 @ 2:50
3 x 66 @ 1:20
4 x 33 @ 40s
1 x 133 @ 2:30
2 x 66 @ 1:10
4 x 33 @ 35s
1 x 66 @ 60
2 x 33 @ 30
2 x 200 swim down
2,666

No comments:

Post a Comment