Saturday 22 January 2011

El Tel returns........and 3500 metres less to swim.

Oops a bit late updating this after Thursday night's session, but here's the feeble excuse, came back home, downloaded the session from my way too clever HRM (Heart rate monitor, hereinafter referred to as toosmart watch!) filled out my jazzy spreadsheet which is snappily entitled "Masters metres memory 2011" provided to me by both Katie Bun and Ruthie but developed by Trondi, to save my typing I will refer to it as "swim log".  If anyone reading this would like a copy, email me at bingeswimmer@googlemail.com or if you leave me your contact details in the comments section of this blog I will happily email a copy to you.

Anyway after all of this obsessive behaviour, (I am beginning to worry if there is a swimming equivalent of OCD) all I had the energy for was to scoff a Marks and Spencer's curry, referee an argument between daughter and husband about chemistry homework and collapse into bed.

Thursday's session was notable for one thing; the reappearance of Terry Edwards, I don't think I've seen him for about 6 years, but he strides onto the pool deck (half way through the warm up!) large as life (a little larger than I remember him, although that is truly the pot calling the kettle black as he has worn much better than I have.)

Terry and I go way, way back having swum together in the newly formed Gateshead Metro club in 1974, he's a couple of years older than me and I used to think he was so cool because he had a pair of Patrick trainers (which he maintained were the epitome of style,) whilst all of us teenagers were nagging our parents for a pair of Adidas Rom or Samba. You will appreciate that this was in the Prehistoric Pre-Nike era.  Terry and I have swum as Masters together during the 90's and early 2000's until the arrival of a family gave rise to the current hiatus in his swimming career. It was great to see him and the crack was as good as ever. We'll see  if he makes it back after his skiing holiday.

I was completely devoid of any imagination for a session tonight so the Fairy Snow Baby chipped in with this rather cheeky little work out; see below. It was a deceptively sneaky piece of training, the 50's and 75's don't sound much but actually it was 2000m in total and a pretty good chunk of work.

200 Free
400 alternate 100 back 100 brst
8 x 50's freestyle @ 55
8 x 75 @ 85 25 s 25 IM drill 25 swim
8 x 50's freestyle @ 60, 55, 50, 45*
8 x 75 @ 90 cycling through IM order, 25 fly, 25 back, 25 breast then 25 free, 25 fly, 25 back etc
4 x 150 @ 3mins 50 pull, 50 kick 50 swim
300 swim down
Total 3,500 metres

*I am somewhat embarassed at the slow rate at which I am currently swimming, and whilst the turn around time of 45 secs was really tight and meant that I had no rest before pushing off for the next one you only actually have to do one and then you're back to a reasonable rest on the next repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment