Wednesday 12 January 2011

don't use the term floppy in male company......and only 488,300 metres to go this year

What started so well last week floundered on the rocks of a teenager's piano lesson and the usual domestic communication snafus which are all too common in our household. Even when experience constantly tells me otherwise, I continue to operate under the assumption that if I know something then Bob (husband) must know it as well, (even if I haven't remembered to tell him.) It does make married life interesting! and whilst Bob often employs this standard operating procedure as well, interesting is perhaps not the adjective he would use to describe the inevitable carnage.

Having gone a week without a swim I think I also need to refine my resolution to make it a bit tougher so that the period between sessions is no longer than 1 week. Provided that I manage to make another session this week then although I'm a bit light on the distance I'm still hitting my commitment to swim twice per week.

So down to business, there was a good turn out for this evening's session tonight with 18 of us making the pool side.  "I'm Chris fly me" our very own Jetpoodotcom pilot confessed to me that he not only had read this Blog but he had actively searched for it. Now, I'm not really sure what that says about him but I'm reassured that when I jet off on my summer holiday the person driving the plane can at least a. read and b. use google. That wasn't the only feedback I've received this week, the excitement of making it into print in last week's post had obviously invigorated the Park Ranger who not only led the lane the whole session but stayed in until the bitter end.

The programme this evening continued last week's theme of easily digestible chunks i.e nothing more than 600m sets,  and to try and trick the rest of our squad into thinking they weren't doing 9 200 repeats I broke them down into 3 separate sets with a different emphasis on each set. We're talking survival swimming and trying to work on stroke length and breathing patterns rather than speed. 

12 x 50's Freestyle @ 55s Warm Up
3 x 200 pull @ 3.40, 3.30 steady pace with a decreasing rest
3 x 200 @ 3.45 reducing stroke rate by 1 stroke on every 25 on the 2nd and then the 3rd repeat
3 x 200 @ 3.45 adding an additional stroke per breathing cycle on the 2nd and then the 3rd repeat.
6 x 100 IM @ 2.10
6 x 100 free @ 2.00 progressive no 1 floppy*, no 2 steady pace, no 3 fast 1st 25 steady pace 75, no 4 fast 1st 50 steady 50, no 5 fast 1st 75 steady last 25, no 6 fast.
12 x 50's @ 65s 1-4 back, 5-8 breast, 9 -12 free.
12 x 25's swim down & mixed drills **
Total 4500 metres
Cumulative Total  11,700

* by floppy I mean simply swim easy without any effort, however the use of this term obviously threatened and unsettled the only bloke in the girlie's lane (and given my age I use this term very loosely) as Beckleberry commented, rather defensively I might add "you shouldn't use that word in male company"
** the fairy snow baby accused me of using drills from the 1970's coaching manual, now I know for a fact he spent most of the 70's in the baby pool and improver groups so I don't think he's qualified to comment and anyway they were fun if rather inappropriate for a swim down!

No comments:

Post a Comment