Saturday 6 April 2013

Whose Idea was this then? (Binge's thought processes)


As I drove to the pool this morning I was contemplating what we should be doing in the session. 

Now I know that the amount of swimming I do fluctuates between nil, negligible and derisory, but on the whole I've been thinking that I don't do enough variation.

It's easy (well relatively speaking) to plough up and down a pool at the same pace but I'm not sure what benefit I'm going to get from that so I thought I would shake it up a bit....

With an unassuming warm up I lulled my team mates (who were all late) into an unsuspecting sense of security and then hit them with the set of 150's.

The idea was to take the first 25 out as hard as possible, try and hang on and stretch for the second 25 and then use the 100 free to recover. I assured them there was plenty rest as well and oh yes if freestyle is your number 1 stroke you swim the first 50 your number 2.

I moved into the top lane to keep Beckleberry boy and Custardly Sgt Mark company and we set off, I hadn't quite anticipated how hard the first freestyle length was going to be as my body was saying "stop that's quite enough thank you," but it did become bearable by the time we'd finished the 100.

As you can see from the print out this was a pretty tough set.  Toosmartwatch advised me "This training increased your maximum performance and sprint race speed. It toned the nervous system of your muscles and required maximal or near maximal effort for breathing and muscles. This training intensity is recommended for short exercises. It is important to warm up before and cool down after the workout"

It neglected to mention what my legs felt like after it. Maybe I'll take up tiddlywinks?


12 x 50 @ 60 ish up free down back/brst
8 x 50 @ 75 kick
8 x 25 free @ 30 prog 1-4 5-8
8 x 150 @ 3:15 50 flat out no 1 100 free recovery ( active rest)
6 x 100 @ 2:20 25 left arm, 25 rt arm, 25 catch up 25 swim
4 x 25 IM order sprint @ 40
450 swim down
3550 total

No comments:

Post a Comment